Self-tanner is a popular product used by many around the world to darken and tan the skin. Unfortunately, it doesn’t always work perfectly and your skin looks streaky or blotch. No matter your reason, removing self-tanner doesn’t have to be difficult. We’ve compiled a list of the most effective DIY methods and products for when you’re trying to figure out how to remove self tanner.
With Beauty Products
1. Self Tan Eraser by Bondi Sands
The Self Tan Eraser by Bondi Sands has won award after award, so if you’re looking a reliable product, give this eraser a try. It can remove or fade even the most stubborn tan, and also preps your skin for your next tan. The Self Tan Eraser can be an ideal product for those whose skin cannot handle exfoliation.
- This can work and remove a self-tan in just 5 minutes, without any exfoliation necessary or harsh ingredients.
- The ingredients used in this product are specially formulated to moisturize your skin, so it never dries your skin out.
- In order for the remover to be effective, you must wait to use it until at least 3 days after applying your self-tanner.
2. Self-Tan Remover by Bronze Buffer
The Self-Tan Remover by Bronze Buffer can work miracles. The miniature buffer is specifically designed to treat tanning mishaps and it’s one of the most popular options for people wanting to know how to remove self tanner quickly.
- The Bronze Buffer can do a variety of things like lighten up color, eliminate stains, even-out streaks, and remove build-up.
- This little tool is great for large areas or even the smallest of areas like the fingers or toes.
- You’ll want to ensure you read all the instructions thoroughly, since certain functions require different actions.
3. Baby Oil
- 20-fluid ounce bottle of pure baby oil, enriched with shea & cocoa butter, formulated to...
- Pure baby mineral oil forms a silky moisturizing barrier to help prevent excess moisture...
- Baby oil is clinically proven to be gentle and mild for baby's skin, easy to spread, ideal...
- Four 20-fluid ounce bottles of baby oil with aloe vera and vitamin E
- Helps to seal in skin moisture and prevent dryness
- Solimo is an Amazon brand. We stand by the products we make. If you're not completely...
- Hypoallergenic; formulated to be gentle, never harsh.
- Clinically Proven Mildness formula, is designed for baby's delicate skin.
There a quite a few budget-friendly options when you are trying to figure out how to remove self tanner. All you need to do is later the affected areas with the baby oil, let it sit, and then bathe. It is ideal for when your self-tan mistakes are larger or discoloration covers a large area.
- Baby oil not only smells great and leaves your skin super-soft, but it can naturally even out discoloration on your skin.
- You will have to let the oil absorb into your skin for at least 10 minutes and it is obviously quite slick, so it’s not the cleanest option for removing self-tanner.
4. Sugar Crush Body Scrub by Soap & Glory
The Sugar Crush Body Scrub by Soap & Glory is not designed to remove self-tanner but nonetheless has all the makings to even out streaks and smaller patches of discoloration. It exfoliates the skin and can gently improve the health of your skin. Use the scrub in the shower as often as your skin can take.
- The grittiness of this sugar scrub can help lightly exfoliate your skin, smooth out color, and give it more energy with ingredients like brown sugar, sea salt, vanilla musk, and lemons.
- Sugar scrubs are great for slowly blending in streaks but may not be ideal if you’re looking for an immediate effect.
- If your skin is sensitive, sugar scrubs may provide too much exfoliation and cause damage.
With Home Remedies
5. Lemon Juice
Lemons have naturally detoxifying and cleansing properties, so lemon juice has been used for centuries for a variety of skin issues. For tanning streaks, a lemon wedge can be applied directly to the skin. For larger areas or blotches, you can use a cotton ball or cloth soaked in lemon juice.
- As this method is all-natural, thus can be used on all skin types. It is great if you have sensitive skin and are wondering how to remove self tanner.
- It can be difficult to use this method on large areas, since you will require a significant amount of lemons/juice to cover large surface-areas. Lemons are best used on smaller areas and to blend together discoloration.
6. Exfoliating Gloves or Loofahs
- 🚿BODY SCRUB EXFOLIATOR - Made from 100% high quality nylon in a quality controlled...
- 🚿FULL BODY SPA - Skin exfoliator for use in shower or bath. Bath exfoliating mitt...
- 🚿 INNOVATIVE DESIGN - The skin scrubber shower gloves stretch to fit most size...
- Shower Gloves Quantity: You will get 7 pairs, 14 gloves total. Contains 7 different...
- Body Scrub Gloves Size：Highly flexible, one size can be stretched to accommodate most...
- Material: Made of 100% high quality nylon material which makes it durable.
- Gentle exfoliation, these exfoliating gloves for the body are gentle for everyday use and...
- Improves skin texture, smoother skin is immediately noticeable after first use, repeated...
- Aids in healthy circulation, frequent use stimulates circulation by applying pressure to...
One of the quickest ways to remove a self-tan is to exfoliate. This can be done via exfoliating gloves or loofahs. They remove dead cells on the outer layers of the skin and prep the skin to better absorb other nutrients for moisture.
- Exfoliating can easily be done, while you are showering or bathing. It helps scrub off self-tanning products, but also unhealthy components of your skin.
- Used in combination with other methods on the list, like lemons or baby oil, exfoliating can be quite effective in removing self-tanner in just a few days.
- Some people may find that exfoliating irritates or damages their skin. If you have sensitive skin, you can try a loofah (which tends to be gentler) or stay away from exfoliation all-together.
7. White Vinegar
Vinegar can be used for a variety of household purposes, and there’s no surprise that it can also be used to help remove your self-tanner. With a cotton ball or washcloth, you can rub vinegar on the affected areas, let it sit for 10 minutes and wash it off.
- Vinegar is extremely budget-friendly and effective in accomplishing many goals, so it should never go to waste. Its natural acidity helps remove unwanted materials from your skin and even out tone.
- The acidity in vinegar may irritate the skin of those who suffer from any type of sensitivity. Consequently, it should never be used on irritated or damaged skin.
8. Baking Soda
Much like a few other household products on the list, baking soda can be used to clean or whiten just about anything. It can also be used on a damp washcloth to gently scrub into your skin to remove self-tanning color.
- You can use this method for immediate results. After you rinse and dry your skin, you can repeat the process every few hours until the color has been eliminated.
- Most people have baking soda on-hand, so this option is both convenient and budget-friendly.
- To completely remove a self-tan, you may need to repeat the process many times. As a result, it can be irritating on some people’s skin.
No matter what your skin type is and how severe the color of your self-tan is, there is an option out there for you to help get your skin back to normal. We welcome you to try any of all of the methods about when you are trying to figure out how to remove self tanner. Which method worked best for you?