Dry scalp can be a problem that can be hard to tackle. But, if you have the best shampoo for dry scalp, you’ll find that this condition is easy to manage and cure. In this article, you’ll find the answers to some frequently asked questions about these shampoos. We’ve also reviewed several similar products to make it easier for you to choose the best shampoo for dry scalp.
Here are the answers to some frequently asked questions about shampoos for dry scalp.
1. What Is The Best Shampoo For Dry Scalp?
The best shampoo for dry scalp has a formula that hydrates the hair and moisturizes a dry or itchy scalp. It nourishes the sensitive skin on the scalp and eliminates dry flakes and dandruff and simultaneously cleanses dry and damaged hair gently. Regular usage of the best shampoo for dry scalp eventually helps manage and tackle the issue.
2. What Does It Do?
Unlike other regular shampoos that merely help cleanse your hair, the best shampoo for dry scalp does not use harsh cleansing ingredients like sulfates which strip your hair of its natural oils. Instead, it moisturizes your hair and strips away only the dirt, leaving your hair’s natural oils untouched. As a result, your hair is thoroughly cleansed and moisturized.
3. How Do You Choose the Best Shampoo for Dry Scalp?
When looking for the best shampoo for dry scalp, you need to choose a product that is sulfate free. It can be tempting to go for products that straighten your hair or increase its volume, but if you want to get rid of a dry scalp, you must resist these temptations and instead pick a shampoo that moisturizes and hydrates your hair. Look for shampoos that have a low pH value.
4. Where Can You Buy It?
You can buy the best shampoo for dry scalp from a variety of sources. For starters, you could go online and look at various marketplaces like Amazon and Walmart, where there is no dearth of such products. You could also visit your local supermarket or your local pharmacy and pick out a shampoo that is hydrating and moisturizing.
5. What Is the Price Range?
You can get the best shampoo for dry scalp for as low as $7. However, as the quantity of shampoo in the package increases, the price goes up simultaneously. The brand name also influences its price. Shampoos for dry scalps from premium brands can even go up to as high as $50 or more.
How We Reviewed Them
The products our staff reviewed have been hand-picked and thoroughly analyzed. We compared the products on the list based on their defining features, their pros, their cons, and their average price. We read through several user reviews to help distinguish the pros and cons, which helped provide even further insight. This list contains only the best shampoos for dry scalp based on a thorough scrutiny of each product.
Overall Price Range of the Best Shampoos for Dry Scalp
The overall price range of the products we reviewed extends from around $7 to around $32, but since these products are made for sensitive areas like the scalp, we suggest that you weigh the benefits offered by the shampoos higher than their price.
What We Reviewed
[amazon box=”B002V7T8BC, B0099EHM86, B00AINMFAC, B000X1HNUG, B002QEQM5K, B079C358TM, B000Q65XVY, B001E96OWY, B000052Y0C, B07FKR7YRX” template=”table”]
Packed in a simple and non-flashy bottle, the SACHAJUAN scalp shampoo can be used on oily and dry scalps alike. The unique combination of PiroctoneOlamine and Climbazole helps to alleviate itchiness of the scalp caused by dandruff. Using the product is as straightforward as massaging the solution directly onto the scalp and rinsing it off after 2 minutes.
- Removes dead cells on the scalp
- Promotes new cell growth
- Helps control the production of oil
- Soothes inflamed scalps and keeps it cool
- Perfect for both men and women
- Counterintuitive as it dries the scalp even more
- Expensive when compared with other alternatives
Infused with tea tree essential oil, the Maple Holistics shampoo is on our list for the title of the best shampoo for dry scalp. The shampoo is free from harsh chemicals such as paraben, silicone, and sulfates making it ideal for men, women, and children alike, and it won’t trigger allergies or rashes. It also has the added advantage of eliminating head lice.
- Eliminates itchiness and flakiness
- Not too pricey when compared with other similar products
- Possesses anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties
- Gets rid of dandruff and prevents thinning of hair
- The success rate is a hit or miss
- Fragrance is intense
- Makes the scalp even drier
Formulated with Ketoconazole as the active ingredient, the Nizoral A-D Anti-Dandruff Shampoo regulates the scaling, flaking, and itching that’s common in people with dandruff.
- Safe to use on colored hair as it does not strip the color
- Has a very pleasant and fresh fragrance
- Helps soothe dry and inflamed scalps
- The shampoo might seem a little harsh for some people
- Contains a lot of chemicals among its ingredients
The PHILIP B volumizing and clarifying shampoo works well on all hair types. With 2.3 percent pure peppermint essential oil extract, the solution leaves your scalp feeling cool and energized. The shampoo is also free from harmful and aggressive substances such as paraben. Avocado and 16 other plant extracts in the shampoo help moisturize dry and flaky scalps.
- Has a wonderful fragrance
- The shampoo is gentle on the hair
- Safe for use on colored hair
- Shampoo strips oil and dirt leaving your scalp intact
- Expensive for the quantity offered
- Doesn’t lather really well
Made especially for sensitive scalps and hair, the Redken scalp relief soothing balance shampoo has been tested extensively by dermatologists. Eucalyptus and licorice extracts help relieve stress and tension in the scalp and gently cleanses it. The shampoo is pH balanced and therefore does not cause irritation or redness in dry scalps.
- Effective in getting rid of itchiness
- Moisturizes and refreshes dry scalps
- Makes a difference right from the first use
- Leaves your hair smooth and shiny
- The fragrance might seem unappealing for many
- Might have to use twice to cleanse dirty hair
Another shampoo on our list with an essential oil as the main ingredient is the First Botany tea tree oil shampoo. It promotes hair growth and eliminates hair loss and thinning. The shampoo is perfect for dry and itchy scalps because it helps retain moisture. Due to the infusion of tea tree oil, the shampoo has antiseptic and anti-fungal properties.
- Is gentle on the hair and the scalp
- Free from harmful chemicals such as paraben and sulfates
- Not tested on animals and is completely cruelty-free
- Manufactured in the USA in a facility that is GMP-certified and FDA-certified
- Strong fragrance might not appeal to some people
- Doesn’t lather well
Manufactured especially for use on dry, flaky, and dandruff-ridden scalps, the Head & Shoulders classic clean shampoo is well-known and widely regarded as the best shampoo for dry scalp. The formulation of the shampoo is pH balanced, making it ideal for everyday use. With Pyrithione zinc as its active ingredient, the shampoo is highly effective for treating dandruff besides moisturizing dry scalps.
- Has a familiar fragrance that is mild and appealing
- Completely eradicated dryness from the scalp
- Cost effective compared to other products
- Gets rid of the feeling of itchiness
- Shampoo lathers well
- Need to be cautious when using it on sensitive skin
- Contains some harsh chemicals
A close competitor for the title of best shampoo for dry scalp is the Neutrogena T/Gel therapeutic shampoo. Its special potent formulation can heal a wide variety of scalp related conditions such as common dandruff, scalp psoriasis, and even seborrheic dermatitis. Coal tar extract in the shampoo acts on the scalp for several hours even after rinsing it off.
- Provides a long-lasting relief from dryness and itching
- Recommended by dermatologists
- Gentle on the scalp as it is free from alcohol
- Works on the first use
- More effective than other similar products
- The strong and pungent odor might put people off
One of the best selling shampoos in the USA, the Selsun Blue dandruff shampoo with selenium sulfide as its active ingredient is highly effective in treating dandruff and mild seborrheic dermatitis. It is also an effective anti-bacterial and anti-fungal shampoo.
- Makes the hair soft and more manageable
- Doesn’t interfere with colored hair
- Salicylic acid helps keep acne and flaking at bay
- Contains contact allergens that might trigger allergic responses in some users
- Contains too much blue coloring
Arguably the best shampoo for dry scalp, the Amplixin scalp therapy shampoo features a blend of two essential oils, tea tree, and peppermint, to eradicate scalp dryness and flakiness. The peppermint oil with its anti-inflammatory properties soothes and moisturizes the scalp, giving a cool, tingling sensation. Formulated to be used by both men and women, the shampoo is ideal for all hair types.
- Prevents hair loss and promotes hair growth
- Free from scalp irritants like paraben and sulfate
- The product is cruelty-free and never tested on animals
- Manufactured in an FDA-certified facility
- Safe to use on colored hair
- Blocks DHT, shielding you from hair loss due to hormonal imbalances
- Price is a little on the higher side when compared with other products
Although all the products we reviewed are worthy of being awarded the title of best shampoo for dry scalp, certain products considerably outperform the others in the list. For instance, on analyzing the technical aspects and user reviews, the Amplixin Scalp Therapy Shampoo emerges as the best shampoo for dry scalp overall. Irrespective of your gender or hair type, the shampoo works well consistently.
As per our reviews, the position of the second best shampoo for dry scalp turns out to be a three-way tie between Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo, Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo, and Head & Shoulders Classic Clean Dandruff Shampoo. All three shampoos work well and are budget-friendly, except for Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo, which is slightly more expensive. Remember, if your scalp continues to stay stubbornly dry and shows no signs of improvement, head to the doctor as soon as possible for a thorough scalp check.