Using an eye cream besides your moisturizer is not a redundant skincare routine as the skin around your eyes is more sensitive and thinner than the rest of your face. Take note that aside from dry skin around eyes, other common concerns include fine lines and wrinkles, hollowness, discoloration, and puffiness. Dry skin around eyes is not uncommon especially during the winter months. The area has few sebaceous(oil) glands, which help keep the skin supple and naturally hydrated.
Why Do You Need An Eye Cream?
The complexion concerns around your eyes differ from the rest of your face. The skin in the area is thinner and more prone to dryness, which predisposes it to fine lines and wrinkles. Hence, eye creams usually have a thicker consistency compared to facial moisturizers to provide additional hydration.
What Is The Best Eye Cream?
As with any skincare product, the best eye cream boils down to your skin type and concerns—e.g., under eye-bags, fine lines and wrinkles, discoloration, and hollowness. Fortunately, many products today have been formulated to address multiple complexion concerns.
The Ingredients You Should Look For If You Have Dry Skin Around Eyes?
Despite the proliferation of skincare products claiming to be organic and all natural, stick to ingredients backed by science and clinical studies. They include antioxidants such as vitamin C, hyaluronic acid, peptides, and retinol. Ideally, your eye creams are stripped of artificial colors, fragrances, parabens, preservatives, and other harsh chemicals because the skin around your eyes is extra sensitive.
Other Tips For Using Creams For Dry Skin Around Eyes
Using eye cream under your concealer can help your skin appear smoother. Just make sure you wait at least five minutes for the product to settle and dry nicely before you use any makeup. Another hack: store your creams for dry skin around eyes so the extra coolness can help reduce the puffiness.
Where Can You Buy The Best Creams For Dry Skin Around Eyes?
You can purchase eye creams in local pharmacies, department stores, and online.
How We Reviewed
To reiterate, the best creams for dry skin around eyes primarily depend on your complexion issues. So always ask yourself these questions: Do I also have signs of aging around my eyes? Do I have dark circles? Do I look tired with my puffy or dehydrated-looking eyes? Because the “best” creams boil down to the complexion concerns one wants to improve, we use criteria such as the pros and cons, the active ingredients and their effects, and price.
Overall Price Range Of Eye Creams For Dry Skin Around Eyes
The price of eye creams varies, from drugstore brands that cost just around $15 per bottle, to luxurious serums that fetch as high as $300. But as with any skincare product, a higher price tag does not mean better results. The best eye cream boils down to your skin type and complexion issues. Try choosing a product with science-backed, highly effective ingredients.
However, more expensive eye creams typically address more than one issue and may deliver better results than cheaper products. In fact, luxurious brands typically come with SPF sun protection and deeply nourishing formulation that minimizes the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. A handful of mid-priced products still deliver great results.
What We Reviewed
- Dr. Dennis Gross Ferulic Plus Retinol Triple Correction Eye Serum
- Black Tea Age-Delay Eye Concentrate by Fresh
- Murad Hydro-Dynamic Ultimate Moisture For Eyes
- La Mer the Lifting Eye Serum
- Sunday Riley Auto Correct Brightening and Depuffing Eye Contour Cream
- Drunk Elephant Shaba Complex Eye Serum
- Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado
- Eye Cream by Olay
- Estée Lauder’s Eye Concentrate Matrix
- Burt’s Bees Intense Hydration Eye Cream
Because the eye treatment comes in serum, which is designed to penetrate deeper and contains more nutrients than cream, it can improve the most common signs of aging: fine wrinkles dark circles, and puffiness.
- It reduces the effects of caffeine, retinol, and other potent antioxidants
- It is infused with licorice root extract to reduce the appearance of dark circles
- The eye serum works well with concealer—i.e., the makeup appears smooth and does not separate despite hot and humid weather
- A study found that users reported improvement in the texture around their eyes and reduction of fine lines after 2-3 weeks of use
- It does little if your main issue is the puffiness
Infused with antioxidant ingredients derived from noni fruit juice, the eye treatment provides deep hydration to keep the skin smooth and less prone to wrinkles. Dubbed as one of the best creams for dry skin around the eyes, this product has also been shown to improve skin elasticity.
- It’s free of parabens, phthalates, and sulfates
- In one study, 97 percent of respondents said they noticed more supple skin while 91 percent thought their eyes looked less tired
- It can be used morning and night
- Suits different skin types such as dry, normal, combination, and sensitive
- The eye treatment is more of an anti-aging, hydrating product
- It does little to improve the dark circles
- When the product gets into the eye, it can be very irritating
This anti-aging, lightweight eye cream hydrates the skin instantly to minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and with its lightweight consistency, it is great under eye concealer to achieve a smoother look.
- One of its main active ingredients is hyaluronic acid, which enhances moisture retention
- The eye treatment suits people with dry, sensitive skin
- Despite its impressive hydrating effect, it does not cause shine or oiliness in people with over-active oil glands
- Ideal for dry patches during winter
- Pricey compared to other eye creams formulated for dry skin around eyes
- Not effective on fine lines
- You may want to follow with a sunblock to protect your skin from the UVA and UVB rays
A quintessential anti-aging eye serum, this luxurious brand is infused with sea botanicals that encourage the increased production of elastin, one of the main protein found in skin that gives it youthful firmness and plumpness. With continuous use, you can expect visible improvement in the appearance of your fine lines and sagging lid and brow.
- It can improve the eye contours by tightening the surrounding skin of the lid and brow
- The serum does not contain parabens, phthalates, and sulfates
- It works well with the company’s other products such as the Eye Concentrate to lighten the dark circles
- The eye treatment is too expensive
As a bona fide anti-aging eye cream, this little bottle of wonder can lighten dark circles, reduce puffiness, and smooth out the appearance of crow’s feet and fine lines around the eyes thanks to its formulation that includes Brazilian ginseng root extract, horse chestnut extract, Acmella Oleracea extract, and caffeine
- It suits a wide range of skin type—e.g., normal, oily, combination, sensitive, and dry
- A good number of users have mentioned its brightening effect thanks to its antioxidant-rich formulation that helps fade dark circles
- This anti-aging cream that suits dry skin around eyes provides a subtle shimmer, which means you can use less eye concealer
- The eye treatment is too expensive
- It’s pricey compared to other drugstore eye creams
Stripped of known irritants such as fragrance, artificial color, alcohol, and sodium lauryl sulfate, this eye cream is formulated to address two common signs of aging around the eyes: loss of elasticity and the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Because this eye cream is stripped of harsh ingredients and other irritants that are often used in skincare products, it’s safe for even the most sensitive skin.
- It uses science-backed ingredients such as copper peptides and black tea ferment, which improve skin elasticity
- The eye serum contains antioxidants that may help fade the appearance of age spots and protect the skin from environmental pollutants
- It’s suitable for anyone with a sensitive skin
- Improves dry skin around the eyes
- Minimizes the appearance of expression lines
- It has no or little effect on the discoloration
- The nozzle sometimes clog up, which you can poke open with a toothpick to pump out the cream
With avocado oil as its main active ingredient, this brand is a quintessential eye cream for dry skin around eyes. Take note that deep hydration is one of the key elements to maintain a youthful-looking eye area.
- It suits people who have a severe case of dry skin or those who suffer from dry patches during cold weather
- A great product under your eye concealer because it gives a smoother appearance
- Its primary goal is to hydrate your dry skin around eyes. Hence, if you’re looking for anti-aging eye cream, look for other products infused with hyaluronic acid, peptides, and botanical extracts that tighten the skin.
This eye cream has a slightly tinted color that blends well into the skin, regardless of its tone. It is infused with peptides and vitamins that can decrease the appearance of wrinkles and crow’s feet, puffiness, and dark circles.
- You use less concealer under your eyes
- Prevents makeup from settling into fine lines around the eyes
- It’s an affordable eye cream that suits people with mild signs of aging around their eyes
- To some extent, it can improve the dark circles around the eyes
- If you’re over 50, you may need stronger products to tighten the skin around the eyes.
- The eye treatment may not be potent enough to improve the appearance of an extremely dehydrated skin around the eyes.
This eye cream is ideal if your main issue is the appearance of dehydrated, dry skin around the eyes, which gives an illusion of tiredness and “hollowness.” It uses a formulation called 360° Matrix Technology that attracts moisture to the skin and lock it in.
- As a quintessential anti-aging eye cream, the product can improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, dark circles, and puffiness.
- It contains hyaluronic acid, a sugar compound that is naturally found in the body that binds with water, giving the skin (and other tissue) its suppleness and well-hydrated appearance.
- The product is one of the most affordable drugstore eye creams in the market.
- If you need more correction, i.e., you have significant discoloration, wrinkles, and puffiness, you may want to try stronger or medical-grade products to achieve more noticeable results.
As its name suggests, this eye cream provides intense hydration that results in soft and youthful-looking skin around the eyes. Nonetheless, it has a lightweight, non-comedogenic formulation that locks in moisture.
- It suits normal, dry, and combination skin
- It has a nice smell
- Some users swear by its effectiveness when used in dry white patches not just around the eyes, but also other areas of the face
- It does not work well with makeup because of “pilling”
Many creams that are formulated to address dry skin around eyes are also infused with antioxidants, peptides, and hyaluronic acid to minimize the apparent signs of aging, so ultimately, the right product for you boils down to your skin type and your personal complexion concerns.