Using skin care products is an important part of any skin care maintenance regimen. That blotchy-looking skin tone is an issue most people suffer from, especially as they age, and can result in feelings of self-consciousness. Changes in the pigmentation in the skin occurs when melanin increases which results in a blotchy look. After scouring the beauty industry, we’ve found some of the best products for blotchy skin on the market today and are sure you’ll find the perfect one for you within these top rated picks.
1. Dermalogica Pure Light SPF 50
Since most blotchy skin is caused by excessive exposure to the sun, which exacerbates the growth of melanin, Dermalogica Pure Light SPF 50 brightens the skin while providing ultra hydration. It also provides broad-spectrum protection against UV rays and includes red and brown algae which are powerful peptides that regulate the body’s production of melanin. It is also designed to address issues regardless of an individual’s skin type.
- It contains hyaluronic acid that fortifies the skin’s natural moisture barrier.
- Regular use of the product reduces the look of fine lines and wrinkles as well as blotchy skin.
- It contains safflower oleosomes that have been shown to help skin recover from sun damage.
- The product is one of the pricier options.
- It requires liberal application but its high cost discourages such use.
- It contains high amounts of fragrance oils which can irritate sensitive skin.
2. Clinique Even Better Clinical Dark Spot Corrector & Optimizer
The container of Clinique Even Better Clinical Dark Spot Corrector & Optimizer is constructed with a dual chamber that, when dispensed, distributes equal amounts of a dark spot corrector and a calming serum. The calming plant extracts have antioxidants and, when combined with its replenishing ingredients, are effective for all skin types. It’s why it’s been rated one of the best products for blotchy skin available today.
- The product is fragrance-free.
- The packaging protects the light and air sensitive ingredients from breaking down.
- It also contains some notable replenishing ingredients.
- The product contains grapefruit peel extract that, when exposed to the sun, can cause a chemical reaction in the skin leaving it discolored.
- Even though it goes on silky and smooth, the product tends to feel tacky.
- It does not contain sufficient amounts of salicylic acid to override the high PH levels in order to serve as an exfoliant.
3. Simple Beauty Skin-Brightening Spot Corrector
Simple Beauty Skin-Brightening Spot Corrector is packed with natural ingredients that help restore a flawless, youthful appearance. Ingredients such as B3 decrease pigmentation while building the immune system, kojic dipalmitate inhibits excess melanin production and glycerin and cetearyl olivate exfoliates and moisturizes. It is definitely one of the best products for blotchy skin available today.
- The product contains no fillers or additives.
- It works on all skin types.
- The product comes with a 30-day risk-free guarantee.
- It takes about a month before you’ll see any noticeable changes.
- It’s new on the market so it’s not yet well-known and there are fewer customer reviews.
- It’s expensive.
4. Le Blanc Intensive Night Brightening Treatment by Chanel
As one of the best products for blotchy skin, Chanel’s Le Blanc Intensive Night Brightening Treatment delivers potent results with active ingredients. Customers report, for example, that transexamic acid (TXC) can deliver even skin tone in just 21 days. It works to inhibit melanin oxidation and pigment buildup earning Japan’s equivalent of a FDA approval. It comes as a 4-part treatment.
- With repeated use, the product will help restore your skin’s natural luminosity.
- The ingredients include licorice root extract that can have a positive impact on hyperpigmentation.
- The packaging ensures that the ingredients will remain stable.
- There is no published research supporting the claims that TXC reduces brown spots.
- There is insufficient skin-lightening licorice root extract to ensure dark spots will be reduced for all skin tones.
- It’s extremely expensive.
5. Advanced Pigment Corrector by Skinceuticals
Unlike most other hyperpigmentation correctors, Advanced Pigment Corrector by Skinceuticals has been tested and proven on all ethnicities. When comparing the best products for blotchy skin on the market, it has also been proven to be a powerful multi-layered treatment that is safe in reducing discolorations and inhibiting its recurrence. It also has been proven to boost skin tone evenness while enhancing radiance.
- It’s been shown to reduce the size of dark spots and their intensity.
- It prevents new spots of hyperpigmentation from forming.
- It is an effective treatment option for all skin types including those with sensitive skin.
- It contains alcohol that could irritate the skin.
- The product has yet to be backed by studies or research.
- It’s expensive compared to some of the other options.
6. REN Evercalm Ultra Comforting Rescue Mask
REN Evercalm Ultra Comforting Rescue Mask was designed specifically for individuals with sensitive skin. Rather than a genetic condition, the sensitivity referred to can become irritating, red, blotchy, sunburnt, stressed, etc. due to environmental conditions and other stressors the skin’s exposed to during the course of a lifetime. This mask has been shown to soothe the skin in as little as 10 minutes. That’s due to the fact it contains the extract of mushrooms that blocks irritation and inflammation while replenishing moisture and reducing irritation.
- The product is oil-free.
- It is a lightweight moisturizer in addition to correcting an uneven skin tone.
- It exfoliates as well as reduces the intensity of dark spots.
- The skin will appear more blotchy, initially, but it will resolve itself shortly.
- It’s rather pricey when you consider that you have to use more of it than other options.
- For those that do not have sensitive skin, you may not notice a significant difference.
7. Rapid Tone Repair Moisturizer Night by Neutrogena
Neutrogena has created a product in their Rapid Tone Repair Moisturizer Night formula that combines ingredients like retinol, vitamin C, hyaluronic acid and glucose complex which reduces wrinkles while fading dark spots. It also contains vitamin A and glucose complex that boosts activity below the skin’s surface and is gentle enough to use on a daily basis.
- It fades dark spots while reducing wrinkles with the use of Pro-Retinol, Retinyl Palmitate and vitamin C.
- The ingredients remain stable due to the opaque, pump-bottle design of the packaging.
- It is an inexpensive alternative to many other products with similar claims.
- It contains myrtle extract and retinol both of which can irritate some skin types.
- It must be used consistently along with a daytime SPF sunscreen to remain effective.
- For a product that can be purchased through local drugstores, it’s fairly expensive.
8. Aveeno Positively Radiant Targeted Tone Corrector
Price: Less than $10.
Combating hyperpigmentation is the number one goal of the Aveeno Positively Radiant Targeted Tone Corrector. It contains vitamin A along with soy protein that reduces blotchiness while combating discoloration. It’s shown positive results regardless of age or ethnicity. As one of the best products for blotchy skin its practical, affordable and simple use as well as low cost makes it a viable alternative for many people.
- The product is light and non-oily which reduces oily skin breakouts.
- It is one of the most affordable dark spot correctors on the market today.
- It is an inexpensive alternative.
- Some individuals have reported a burning sensation when the product was applied.
- Based on consumer reports, results vary widely.
- It has a high ratio of fragrances to other ingredients.
An uneven skin tone on the face and other parts of the body can be an extremely frustrating condition for many people. There are various causes including age-related issues and a person’s lifestyle. To minimize or reverse the condition, some of the best products for blotchy skin are now on the market. The trick is to find what works best for you and that may take a little exploration into their ingredients and the customer feedback which can be a critical indicator of how well it’ll work for you.